Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Silent all these years...

Sometimes silence is a call for help. A display picture gone dark, a prolonged absence on social media, a refusal to engage in conversations, non-committal polite replies to messages. These are all ways of seeking attention. And they all work in the short term. 

But relationships are not, or should not be, about the short term. It took me a long time to understand this, and even now I need a reminder once in a while. But I'm getting there. 

I've learnt to ask for the things I want, for the love I want, for the friendship I want. And I've learnt that sometimes the answer will be no. And that's a good thing because hearing the occasional no makes the yeses so much more precious. Just like silence makes the next conversation more precious.

No comments: