Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Feeling unbearably sentimental....sort of in a wishy washy weepy frame of mind....quite the contrast to my passionate fury of last night....which was, needless to say, purely illogical and irrational and unprompted by anything worthwhile....
Ry and I talked of things that are lost in translation.....mehboob in English would at best be literally translated as lover (?).....but can the literal translation ever incorporate the nuances of the original....can I describe a dance step in so many words.....I believe I can't.....just as I cannot describe a colour to one who cannot see......perhaps there are feelings which are lost in the translation to words.......perhaps that's why we feel so comfortable in silences....is it really the same when I say te amo and when I say je t'adore.....Sentimentality apart, no words can ever convey what he once said I made him feel like.....a goldfish in a bowl!!

3 comments:

Sayan Chakraborti said...

For those of us who have but limited knowledge of language, we have http://babelfish.altavista.com/ . What is your opinion of it? But here is the new kid in town, http://www.imsc.res.in/~golam/anubadok/ , but you'll need Bangla fonts to view it properly.

Speaking of colours, most physics students like me would try to claim that any colour is aptly described by just its fourier spectrum. A fourier spectrum is somewhat like a rainbow, it carries information about what frequencies are present in what amounts. Similarly, chemists and biologists would also have their pet answers.

But the question reamins, what is colour? Is it a property of the light wave that carries it? Or is it a property of the photochemical reactions it triggers in the retina? Or perhaps the neural response it evokes in the brain? Or is something more? Something which you cant express in words and I cant express in equations...

babelfish said...

Beautiful words ο φίλος μου....there are indeed some things you cannot express through equations nor I put into words...and as you can see http://babelfish.altavista.com/ is quite a useful site!!

babelfish said...

poekly : "The Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation"

Perhaps some things are better lost in translation or transition?