Friday, July 22, 2005

There seems a faint possibility that I am regressing to a pre-oedipal stage of consciousness; what Lacan termed the Mirror Stage, I believe....

hmmm.....at any rate I'm exhibiting a disturbing tendency to pause fractionally in front of mirrors or shiny reflective surfaces (or for that matter, non-shiny marginally reflective surfaces like the grimy glass notice board fronts which quite elegantly block the undisturbed vista of white washed walls in our department!)

Reaching quite the zenith of narcissism......although of course it is hard to remain consistently in love with my rather insignificant self when there are little puddytats strolling the face of the earth.....(and any true female Judean can guess the identity of one such puddy tat!!) As for the other one I know....ah well, when a man combines wound wound adorable eyes with occasionally twembling lips and an infrequent sphinx like smile is it my fault that I succumb to charm and quivering knees?!!


8 comments:

Bee said...

oooof baba....optionals going to ure head already??

babelfish said...

Where do you find the connection between Foucault, Sophocles and Lacan?!!! A bit far fetched don't you think? :D

Bee said...

too many long words for me,ducky..psychobabble. :-)

babelfish said...

well I gotta justify my name don't I...what's the point in being a babelfish if I don't babble?
And I am deeply mortified.....I shall not talk to you till umm...Monday!!!Katti!!!!!

babelfish said...

ok for all those people who went crib crib crib...I'm done with pschobabble but because I cannot endure the thought of simply deleting anything I have written (intellectual narcissism at its best)I'm simply throwing in all the "prolonged explanations of jargon" into the comment section, which no one but me ever reads anyway!!!

babelfish said...

By the by, the mirror stage according to Lacan is the infantile stage where an external image of the body (potentially a mirror reflection or represented through the mother) produces a psychic response that gives rise to the mental representation of an "I".
The infant identifies with the image, which serves as a gestalt of the infant's emerging perceptions of selfhood, but because the image of a unified body does not correspond with the underdeveloped infant's physical vulnerability and weakness, this imago is established as an Ideal-I toward which the subject will perpetually strive throughout his or her life.
For Lacan, the mirror stage establishes the ego as fundamentally dependent upon external objects, on an other.

babelfish said...

Note:
The German word Gestalt means "pattern" or "figure." As a psychological concept, Gestalt refers to our perception of a form whose meaning exceeds the totality of its components--a Gestalt is always greater than the sum of its parts. Gestalt psychology is founded on the observation that we do not comprehend our world as an assemblage of disparate elements, but as a pattern of meaningful forms. Our understanding of a "home", for example, is derived from more than merely the materials and architectural plans that produce the physical "house." A "face" is likewise more than a collection of identifiable parts. For Lacan, the imago with which the infant identifies in the mirror stage is a kind of Gestalt. The infant recognizes not only that it is a particular shape, but also grasps that this shape has a special--in fact transformative--significance.

Anonymous said...

So is the imago conscious or unconscious - I mean if the ego is conscious what is the relation between the ego and the imago - does the ego continue with the image in some kind of dynamic after the mirror-stage? just wondering...