Monday, July 11, 2005


Lost and confused......have a sad feeling most of my posts will never quite cross the monosyllabic barrier of aatlami........currently assuming all who read this are equipped with a babel fish which helps them to attune to my perversely peculiar frame of mind......otherwise it ain't my fault, I'm speaking an alien language......a language that belongs to the land where the grass is always greener.....
for the unintiated.....
Babel Fish
The Babel Fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy not from its carrier, but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
The Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

7 comments:

Rimi said...

uh, who's this doll??? do tell. me dying to know. by the way, i am a die hard pratchett fan too!

Teleute said...

who is dis?
tell me! tell me! tell me!
plz plz, pretty please?

babelfish said...

umm...people...somebody please please please tell me, what Pratchett has to do with Babel Fish....I was actually thinking of DNA (God rest the earth that is no more!)

babelfish said...

and rimi I actually wanted Swordfish, which according to Pratchett is the inevitable password of every conspiratorial revolutionary society (ref. Nightwatch)

Rimi said...

uh, honey...sarcasm? familiar concept? was merely taking a cue from hri's comment abt pratchett...and who ARE you??? come now, don't be shy...

babelfish said...

Rimi: "Sarcasm is one of the services I offer", corny line from a friend's t-shirt :D
And I'm suffering from short term amnesia..actually have forgotten who I am!!

babelfish said...

aneelirh: please, please try remember which one..this has got to be one I wanna read. (and I thought I'd read most of Rincewind, sigh...all apologies by the way..)