Sunday, February 26, 2006

umm..for anyone confused by my last two posts this one's a filler...from a comment left by a sensational junior I realize I've been rambling a bit much, so here goes and anyone who's not interested in hearing the specifics of university politics hehe, this is where you tiptoe towards the nearest exit and run!
Right.

Our university has three faculties, arts, engineering and science. Each faculty has a union which is primarily responsible for addressing students issues. The union elections of the arts faculty were held last wednesday and the outcome of those elections is we have a mixed union held by a supposedly commie Students Federation of India (SFI) and a staunchly anti-left Forum for Arts Students (FAS). My only contribution to the union election was to try and persuade people to come and vote because every vote does count. Oh yeah, and I voted. Very strongly anti-left. I'm not sure if that makes me a right wing extremist because in the past few weeks all those not sympathizing with the left front have been labelled as naxalites and maoists and accused of wanting to introduce revolutionary measures in student politics. And some bright red spark accused a friend of mine of wanting to blow up the university. Drama and all of that.
Anyhow union elections drama ended on February 23rd. Now comes my dramatic entrance into the world of politics. Well, not that dramatic really. I'm contesting something called the E.C. elections.
Basically our university has an Executive Council which is comprised of representatives from teachers, students, non-teaching staff and oh local committe people and lots of hot shots. There are just two student representatives on this council, one from engineering and one from either science or arts. These two student reps are elected by a three phase electoral process. Each department of the university elects a limited number of representatives who in turn elect six people who form the court council. Out of these six, two are them elected to the executive council. umm..does that make any sense? It's a bit like a pyramid, or the rajya sabha elections. Given I've never studied anything like political science I'm not the best person to explain these things. But basically therefore, on march 3rd our department will be electing it's representatives. And I'm contesting as an independent candidate. JUDEan to the core, so if you're looking for party affiliations wrong stop.
But this is where I do my hoimoi part. The date of elections is bang in the middle of mid-sem exams. There are just too many people who will not come and vote because they'd rather study. And I don't blame the students. I do blame the authorities. Excuse me while I formulate my own conspiracy theory.
*dramatic pause*
There's a conspiracy against me!!!
*double sigh. quadruple sigh.*

20 comments:

Acroyali said...

oh!

but then won't that affect all the other ppl running for the dept. reps too?

babelfish said...

Of course, it affects everybody and it's pretty unfair because short of hard core political people very few students will be interested in coming to vote mid exam. Which essentially means that people who stand independently, unaffiliated to any party tend to lose possible votes. Ami just extra drama korchhilam when I said it's a conspiracy aginst me, but to be very honest it is a bit of manipulating by the powers that be in charge of administration.

Acroyali said...

ok.. hmm bujhiyachi. jobdo koreche besh.

Arindam said...

i hate politics in student body/college union elections. was never exposed to it, and never want to be exposed to it. it sucks.

March Hare said...

dont worry!!! first years dont have mid sems. i will definitely try to vote......best of luck !!! :)

Poorna Banerjee said...

As you-sual darlin... as you-sual.

I will vote. What are my choices??

soumyak kanti de biswas said...

... oh and the LAPTOP that you get if you somehow find yourself in the Executive Council...

please do mention the laptops, ms fish/chakravarty/acertainsomeoneelselookalike.
can't leave out the good things in life, can we?
though well, it just might be a rumour or one of those hahasucker! kinda things.

Casablanca said...

Ummm... didnt you'll try to get the election date changed? I does seem unfair, not particularly to you, but to all independent candidates and smaller parties.

Bee said...

kanti,you incredible idiot,if you're standing for elections alongside the fish you might want to get her last name correctfirst!!

Ron said...

Well, where I went to college there was no student politics. Thank god! I cant abide politics of any kind. having said that, I hope it turns out ok for you. From what you have written, your opposition seems to be really horrible. All the best!

Rapid I Movement said...

Frankly speaking, I quite lament the fact that I din get to go to Presi (it's bloody bang next to my place, you know)...somehow, politics seems like dope at college...its evil and blatantly *kharap*...but still, lots of fun.
So, here's me wishing thee bol for the elections...may the most corrupt one win:)

Rapid I Movement said...

And for the record...since all aantels hate the left...and i hate amrika and the left hates amrika...(plus, my school building was painted red and we infact were told that it was a CPM stronghold, while it was ejjactly opozit)...I'd do CPM...

hdpal said...

“People get the government they deserve”

Hence despite your laudable efforts, if folks opt not to exercise their franchise, they will surely get what they deserve.

Apoplexy said...

Can you tell me what were the exact results of the ARTS electionsincluding votes gained by the AISA,FAS,SFI,AIDSO and other orgs.
Did WTI retain science?
And I hope DSF retained FETSU.
Do let me know.

Casablanca said...

Okies, best of luck for your elections today! Do let us know how it went!

rainbeau_peep said...

you be tagged! nyeh heh heh.

Gee said...

u get a laptop for beein in the EC???

Shrutarshi Basu said...

dictatorships rule. simple.

Lancelot said...

so what were the results??

Anonymous said...

Your writing has an intresting factor to it, you should take it up as a profession!
Uk Chick