Friday, April 14, 2006

Much has been happening in ze fissbowl. For one thing the mother has discarded home, hearth, husband and the one and only younger daughter in order to re-enact some well chosen scenes from trashy ekta kapoor serials at the no-longer-tranquil home of the newly-wed one and only older daughter.
The father predictably is pining away. Ok, that's an understatement but I have no words to describe how melancholy he is these days. He hangs around the house and mopes. In snatches he remembers that he is supposed to be playing mother hen to b'fissy and comes around clucking with a vengeance.

The outcome of the pater familias doing mother hen imitations has been rather mixed. For example, having lovingly watched me set off for college one morning and in the process of standing at the door and waving a forlorn metaphorical hankey in farewell he noticed that my shoes were pretty shabby. And then he forced me to go shopping with him and bought me two pairs of shoes. That was the good bit.
The bad bit was the time the father in a fit of excessive love and misplaced zealous tenderness decided to put a bottle of water into my college bag. In the process discovering a match-box in said bag. Father questoned daughter and daughter gave an answer which was a hazelnut surprise and two layers of truffles short of an entire chocolate box of honesty and then father and daughter went on with make-believe world where suspension of disbelief rules bigtime.

We get along my father and I. More than happily. When we're utterly bored with everything around us we start some bizarre conversation which keeps us high on aantlami *pretentious intellectualism* for prolonged periods of time. And occasionally we do father-daughter talks where he asks me interesting questions like who's the flavour of this season and *you don't even want to know the context of that one*! But through it all I know he's too busy missing Ma. Me, I'm the half-hard-hearted one of the family, so I don't miss her at all *and if you heard me howling I want my mommy in college the other day you were obviously hallucinating*. But he sits by the phone all the time he's at home. And gives it little looks and occasioanlly picks it up to check if it's working. And sometimes he prods it a bit with his little finger like he's gently trying to nudge some divinity in charge of communications to get her to call.
But while I'm not as mushily mopey as he is, home isn't home unless Ma's there to yell at me. And Baba can't even yell properly if Ma's not there. Sigh.
Change topic. I can feel myself getting morose and sentimental over this, gah! Instead I shall write about the other major event in fishy's life. Which is a continuation of all my electoral woes of last month and the surprisingly not-quite-woeful results
To cut a very very long story short. There was an election today. Students from all three faculties of the university voted for six students members of the court council which is supposedly a hi-falutin inexplicably powerful administrative body *basically blah*. And out of the six very elite court members not one has any affinity for shades of red. But one of the six is a fish. This fish to be precise. In other words, this is a happy fishy right now.

16 comments:

Dreamcatcher said...

CONGRATS. Maybe this might be a good excuse for not submitting term papers on time.

Arindam said...

Erm...what happened with the matchbox? I never get back the ones that are found in my bag.

And congratulations on being made a judge. Heh heh. Can you dish out capital punishments and throw people into dungeons and do the whole evil madman swallowing the key thing?

March Hare said...

awwwwwww...(this was the response to the dad missing mom part)

yay!!! (this was the response to the to the election report part)

Teleute said...

Congratulations! :D

Anonymous said...

hey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now you get to be bossy with a proper excuse! Although I suppose I should be the last person to be talking about bossiness...
Also, your dad is wonderful, as is your whole family except you obviously. And speaking of family, you've moved, haven't you? I am going to miss the bookish smelling living room. I don't suppose you transplanted the living room in one piece to the new house?

Anonymous said...

Better loos, fans made in the 1990s, proper drinking water (and not tasting like a mixture of daaber jol and horse piss) and get-rid-of-Sas B -> abhi ke liye sirf itna hi chahiye.

congrats, tumi to hebbi hi-fi hoye gele!

Ron said...

Congratulations!!

As for missing your mommy, hope she comes back soon. Now you have made me miss my mommy. I think the only reason she moved back to Calcutta leaving me, her one and only older daughter, alone in riot stricken Bengeluru, is because my father was missing her and generally being forlorn about it. *sniffle, I want my mommmmmmmmyyy*

Maru Marauder said...

Congrats &c. *Gratuitous self adverising warning-following comment includes words that may or may not amount to a sentence written by recently unretired blogger who may or may not have any readers at the moment*

I'm back. Tell a friend.

Casablanca said...

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Yes I was talking about the smoking bit. Oh, and congratulations on the election bit ;)

Acroyali said...

congrachulayshons! may zese first steps lead you to your dream of ze domination of ze entire fissbowl! :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations =D

Anonymous said...

wah wah, wah wah
all the best in your endeavours and all zat, fishy as they may be

Poorna Banerjee said...

Baba re!! Amar mundute ar kichhu aschhe na tai ei samanyo comment.

jhantu said...

This might be a bit off the mark comment w.r.t post, but why do I have a feeling that the calcutta blogosphere is infested by teen to just-post-teen JU people?? Please tell me that its not true

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»