Saturday, September 10, 2005

"Those who are labeled as mad can become "trapped" within their own delirious discourse and within the structures designed to confine them: perhaps the experience of being trapped inside some of Foucault's more difficult sentences is meant to echo this. Or perhaps he was just incapable of writing clearly."

this be very astute comment......I was reduced by 5 am to a state of drivelling delirium where I actually took recourse to sparks notes to see if I could make some sense of that brilliantly incomprehensible book Madness and Civilization......all that registered was the above comment........now since I really can't write this for my test I might be reduced to emulating Calvin and giving up a one-line answer for whatever question might come, "I cannot answer this question as it is against my religious principles.........."

4 comments:

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Heh.
Oscillating moods, rather like (wait for it ..) a pendulum?

devilish laughter echoes off stone walls, fades into the depths

J.A.P.

babelfish said...

j.a.p : you be the funnies :D

babelfish said...

post post script : ain't it nice and ironic that my half century in posts should bear mention of Foucault and especially of Madness and Civilization...oh happy happy coincidence :D

babelfish said...

i adored madness when i first read it some years back...but in conjunction with everything else I had to study and keeping in mind the fact that I had to finish reams of Foucauldian theory in one night it was...*shudder*