Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Tomorrow Is My Birthday!!!

well actually 40 minutes away is my birthday.......

and my reasons to be unhappy are :

1) I am daily addressed by one rather impertinent junior as "hot buri" (for those unaware of college/bengali lingo, that means sexy, old woman with the emphasis on old) and horror of all horrors, I'm getting used to it!!!!!
2) At the end of twenty one years (which will actually be at 11.35 A.M. I.S.T. tomorrow) I am approximately double what I was at the end of fourteen years.......what will I be in say another seven years.......the mind boggles!
3) And this is the sad little thought that sort of takes out its own handkerchief and sobs into it.........sometime at the end of tomorrow there will be people who will umm not wish me..........twenty one years is long enough to pick up quite a few ghosts........

But! and this is the all important but :

1) I happen to be knowing two simply adorable people......... cassandra mortmain and sohini, take a bow......... who today sat me down and ordered me to bunk all classes and all work tomorrow because they insist on taking me out to lunch........this be because I have bored everyone nearly to death by telling them how I have hardly any friends and therefore will do nothing on the special day.........but seriously, sniff sniff, I was so touched!!!
2) Also I just saw, this is what cassy wassy has done....... aaaaaaawwww......thankoopie..........
3) On a less sentimental but more practical note.............I have a birthday top/kurta thingy with a very plunging neckline, so old age be damned and bedamned!!!

twelve o'clock came and went
bringing with it my dad, who went from room to room switching on every light there is in this house, and believe me there are quite a few!!!
and then mommy and daddy sang to me
a little out of tune true
but I'm still sniffling out of sentimentality.........

and Baba just told me that all those years back, in all the hurry and worry of getting my mother to hospital, there was just one moment when Ma looked up calmly and said "I want a daughter"

I am happy.......not just not-un-happy but happy

23 comments:

Aniruddha Dutta said...

hey
Happy Birthday. Sudipto adds his wishes... at the moment, he's peering from behind my shoulder and passing oh-so-smart comments on whatever I am writing. Shit. Wish you people had been the first to break his heart this morning with the news about his (says 'erstwhile') obj-of-blah-blah... it's really sad he knew already. feeling pretty sadistic and vengeful right now.

babelfish said...

aaaaaaaaaaawwww......thank you for the wishes and we are so sorry.....

Sayan Chakraborti said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Bone said...

hey happy birthday! 22 is hardly buri... i dream of the time when myself will be 22...

by the way, who's that 'rather impertinent junior'???

Anonymous said...

YOU have been tagged - to write a story in 55 words.

Unjustified Insanity~~ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
(sorry about not wishing you before but i prefer wishing people on their birthday rather than before)

Sphinx said...

Happy birthday.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6225/babel4nf.jpg

Hope you like it.

:)

Anonymous said...

Along with your kolas, pepes and karelas, enjoy your life and enjoy the day.

Happy birthday!

rainbeau_peep said...

Happy Birthday baybee phees! And do us all a favour and stop allowing urself to be called a "buri", hot or otherwise! Reflects badly on the whole lot of us.

Teleute said...

and what about the fact that i forewent typing in plain black for once and sent you multi-coloured birthday wishes at the stroke of midnight?

Happy B'day once again!

:D

Dipanjan Das said...

happy birthday!
..

and it echoes
appy birthday!
ppy birthday!
py birthday!
y birthday!
birthday!
irthday!
rthday!

ar parlam na..
have a bash.

babelfish said...

thank you all!!! it was beaooooootifool day :)

sayan : thank you so much :)

mandy : I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know him and quit dreaming of growing older dear, just be as you are :D

dc : this be your idea of a birthday present (raised eyebrows)....will try but can't promse it'll be brilliant :)

unjusitified : thanks..it be the wish which counts to me not when...I be glad :)

sphinx : I'm floored...it's lovely :)

bhooter raja : thanks deary, I did enjoy myself despite the kola :D

rainbeau_peep : you be very right, I will squash him firmly next time :D

teleute : thank you for the multi-coloured wishes...and thankoo for very beautiful ashtray...I have convinced Ma it's a candle-stand :D

dd : my echoed thanks merge in the distance with the faded traces of your wishes :)

Maru Marauder said...

Happy Birthday then....

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Well, have a great year, young lady.
VERY young - now certain that you were not even BORN when I was in Cls. VIII. Observe me gloat. Old lady forsooth!

Nice to see somebody else quote those very favourite lines from Empty Chairs.

J.A.P.

Unknown said...

Sorry i'm late(haven't been online in a while)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

babelfish said...

maru marauder : thank you so-o-o-o much :)

jappy : awwwwwww....it's so nice to know someone in this world thinks I'm still young :)
And the thingy is, when I said I was so born and in school when you were in class VIII, I didn't specify that it was in this lifetime, now did I?!!

Teleute said...

ei, post na! i'm very bored.
:-C

Illusionary said...

hey..
a happy belated birthday(oopps)
Lots of love...

Teleute said...

i hate oo. i hate oo. i hate oo.
bhy not oo poshting?

babelfish said...

someone somewhere : Birthday wishes never come too late...thank you :)

illusionary : thanks :D

teleute : Have overcome writer's block for your sake only!!! Oo must labh me again :D

Anonymous said...

oh darn I mised it! a few days away, i tell you!

happy birthday babel!! hope it was a blast, girl!

(am now off to read the post- i read the first line and came here)

Anonymous said...

awww....(ok, read it)

babelfish said...

vague : thank oo pie :)